Sunday, September 29, 2013

Shane's High School Reunion

This weekend has been Shane's 20 year HS reunion. Friday night was the GHS Homecoming game. We took the kids with us, walked them around the school. What a strange feeling walking into a place you have not set foot inside of for over 20 years! I mean, that really was a feeling I have not experienced. We showed them our hang out spots, our kissing spots, some of the classrooms we remembered. Shane and I met in an Agriculture class, our teacher was Mr. B. He was there Friday night, looking pretty much the same only with grey hair. The game was fun, people watching is always a highlight. As it turns out, GHS won that night. Something they never managed to do for my homecoming or Shane's.

Saturday night was the dinner/slide show evening. It was nice getting dressed up to go out as that doesn't happen too often ;) I had some mild anxiety about the evening, you never know how these things will go. I have to say, at a 20 year reunion people seem genuinely more interested in just seeing their old classmates rather than convincing people they are masters of the universe. Don't get me wrong, there were definitely some "characters" there but overall, everyone was just friendly.  Even though it was not my graduating class, I did know or at least recognize a handful of people. I enjoyed catching up and hearing how they are, where they've been and about their families :)  I was very glad to finally meet some of Shane's friends from elementary school. He went to a very small school that was kinder to 8th grade. I know some of those people meant a lot to him. It was really cute to see him remember back that far and to hear others tell things they remembered about him.  The people in charge did a beautiful job with picking the location, the details and the slideshow. I think even Shane will agree that the music selection took you right back to 1993.

I guess there is a small part of me now regretting not going to my 20 year reunion last year. Perhaps I worried too much about all the reasons not to go and should have focused on the 1 or 2 reasons TO go. I have always said that the best part of high school for me was finding Shane...since I took him with me, there was really no reason to go back. I still fully feel that way but now having been to Shane's reunion,  I realize that maybe the 30 year won't be such a bad idea ;)



No comments: