Monday, January 5, 2009

My Birthday

yes, today is my birthday. birthdays are usually something i avoid bringing attention to for myself. i don't know why. i think part of it is that i spend so much time and energy planning everyone elses birthday that for my own i exercise my right NOT to make a big deal. i love planning everyone elses...just not my own.

however, i had a lovely dinner out with my hunny bunny, the kids, mom, dad, brittany and elijah. shane got me a great cake (chocolate cake, chocolate icing, chocolate roses OMG) and mint chocolate chip icing. it was...amazing! and topped off the mexican food perfectly :-)

my brother in law called me bright and early this morning to point out that i am very very old. ya, he's cute that way i guess. but in that moment it hit me, i have accomplished so much in my 35 years. i had a wonderful childhood, i remember my mom doing things with me and being with me. i remember getting in the bed in our finished basement watching marathons of peyton place while eating crackers and cheddar cheese. i remember her taking me riding at the stable, taking me to the park to feed the ducks, taking me to movies. i remember her putting her socks on, sticking her feet through chair slats so i could pretend they were my sock pets. weird i know. but still.

i survived high school, met the most wonderful guy in the world. survived college :-) survived working for kr saline and associates (yikes). we have owned 3 beautiful homes and have four amazing, funny, loving children. i've been on vacations, seen beautiful things and places. i've been lucky enough to have 17 years with the man i love and 10 years of marriage. i get to be home with my kids because i want to and i love every minute of it. even the crazy ugly minutes.

i am lucky to be surrounded by people who love me. my mom, dad and sis are nearby. i have a sister AND a sister in law i can call if i need help or someone to listen. i have have had loss, both my grandparents, my angel baby. but i know that at the end of the day, i've had everything i've ever wanted...and it's only been

35 years.

1 comment:

my life said...

Boy, you truely have it all Susan! I mean that! You have the all american dream that most little girls dream of when they are young! YAy YOU!!