Thursday, November 13, 2008

Down on the sheep farm

Savannah with a Karakul Baby


Cassandra on Bill's Tractor


Griffin on Bill's Tractor

Well we spent our Veteran's Day holiday on my friends' farm! Liz and I have been friends for 20 something years and we just don't get to see each other enough. She and her husband raise natural colored Cotswolds and Karakuls. I think she said they had 65 sheep now. It's lambing season so there will be plenty more on the way!
The kids had a blast. Bill let Cassandra and Griffin drive the tractor themself. It went slower than their power wheels so they did fine. Griffin learned how to put the front loader up and down by himself too. They drove all around the sheep pasture and managed not to hit any sheep or any sprinkler heads!
Savannah was more interested in the sheep and the alpacas. Both the girls decided they wanted to try herding sheep. Let me tell you from experience, it's not that easy. Some of you may remember I had my own little flock of 53 natural colored sheep for about 10 years. Liz and Bill also have a beautiful Pyraneese dog that loved Alyssa. It followed her everywhere and Alyssa was not afraid at all even though she was big and puffy!
So Liz is a 4-H leader. Cassandra joined 4-H and Savannah is in the Clover Kids program. That means she can have an animal project but can't show it at the fairs until she is 9. The girls chose goats. I can't wait. Shane can but I can't ;-)
We had a beautiful day outside in the country.

No comments: