Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday School teacher...who, ME?



so....i was asked by one of the youth group ladies to teach sunday school. even our priest mentioned it to me. i told him while i was interested, i didn't feel qualified. he said if i was breathing and had a pulse i was qualified. cool. so today we have our sunday school (SS) meeting to go over stuff, meet our assistants. get our book, see our classroom, etc.





ok....can i really do this? i am talking this is heavy duty stuff to me. it's like being a real teacher. lesson plans, stories, verses, crafts, experiments, etc. i mean, i am totally excited but totally scared i am going to suck at this. luckily i have the pre k/kinder class so they won't be too judgemental but still!





i am trying to think why this is getting to me. i think because when i was forced to go to religious instruction classes (for some reason catholics didn't call it sunday school where i was) it was dry, boring, unfriendly. not fun. like homework. in a sterile environment. it was painful to go. i felt out of place, odd. alone. kinda like i did in church. so here i am all these years later, going to church willingly. volunteering willingly. TEACHING SS for crying out loud! i guess for me, i want the kids to have the experience i DIDN'T have. feel warmth, feel welcome, feel happy. i guess i am afraid to screw it up. have some poor kindergartener say "i don't ever want to go back to SS cuz miss susan sucked as a teacher"





so i gotta give it my best shot and hope i do well. maybe even better than just "well" maybe...fantastic.

1 comment:

my life said...

Susan,
I felt the same way when our Childrens Pastor approached me to become the Nursery director.. lessons, planning.. oh boy what was I getting into.. so far it has been wonderful and I am learning right along with them...
Keep up the good work